Practical Self Sufficiency
Course Calendar 2017
Learn the essential practical skills needed for a Self-Sufficient lifestyle.
There is no getting away from it, a self-sufficient lifestyle requires you to be practical and hands on.
There is no getting 'a man who does' , it's down to you and your own skills and ingenuity, which if you have only ever changed a light bulb before can be a little daunting.
Our Courses are very limited in numbers to ensure that you receive personal tuition and are able to get the most out of the day.
- You will be picked up at 9.45am in the spa village of Lanjaron (there is plenty of parking behind the Tourist Office). We will drive you to our cortijo, set in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.
- After welcome refreshments, you will be introduced to the essentials of Practical Self-Sufficiency Skills.
- The course is practical, hands on and starts with some practical solutions to successful Organic Gardening including, Wicking beds, Greenhouse Heaters, building Polytunnels and much more.
- You will also learn how to manage your water, using slow sand filters, compost toilets and recycle waste water through reed beds.
- The first afternoon covers some basic construction techniques, such as brick laying, rendering and dry stone walling.
- On the second morning, a local carpenter will teach you some basic carpentry skills, that will help you build your own solar oven or dryer.
- In the afternoon techniques on how to build a bread oven in adobe will be demonstrated.
- We will return you to the village at about 4pm
An Instructor in the Royal Navy Pete Rodgers has many years experience in teaching practical subjects. Pete has built his own cortijo and landscaped the garden over the last 10 years, including most of the techniques on the course.
However, even Pete is not expert at everything! So carpentry skilsl will be taught by local carpenter Kevin, who has many years of experience working both in the UK and Spain
What to bring
- All materials and equipment will be provided as well as comprehensive notes
- All refreshments, including a delicious lunch of local ingredients and drinks
- We suggest you bring or wear old clothes and some work boots or trainers